Tuesday, May 10, 2011

#4 - Head Shaved

It took about two years to grow my hair out...

... and about two minutes to buzz it all off.


Saturday I had my head shaved at B.C. Children's Hospital for the annual Balding for Dollars event. There were loads of people there, and I was surprised and delighted to find I wasn't the only woman getting her head shaved. It was pretty heartbreaking to hear about all the people who'd been affected by cancer. The woman next to me lost her best friend last year. I felt lucky being there not because of a tragedy but just because I was able to help out a bit. I raised $385 (and got a free haircut!)

It felt good to get rid of that big mop of hair. I thought maybe I'd feel panic when I first saw myself in the mirror, but I'm pretty happy with not having to do a single thing with my hair in the mornings now. Of course, my head is cold, but that's what toques are for, and it's spring, so it's a good time to lose the head insulation.

I'd been thinking about what it would be like to shave my head for so long, and now I'm glad I just went ahead and did it.




No comments: