Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Puppy postponed

Well, it seems if you don't have a set work schedule, it can be difficult to get work if you apply with a puppy in tow. At least, that's what I'm concerned about. I went to an info session last week, two puppy training classes on Monday night, and an interview this morning, and have determined that as much as I do want to pursue raising a service dog, this is not the right time. As a freelancer, I've no idea where and for whom I'll be working in the next year, so I can't know that any editor I approach will be fine with me bringing a dog into his or her newsroom.

There is a chance, however, that if I can get myself on a schedule, I could get a puppy in a few months and just take jobs that I can either do from home or are in newsrooms where editors are happy to have me bring the puppy. It's do-able, but I'm going to wait till after Christmas and until this upcoming job I've got in Dec. and Jan. is over because I know that with this particular editor, at least, he's just not cool with me bringing the dog. Fair enough. Bit of a bummer, but I'll see where I'm at in another two months.

No comments: