Friday, March 11, 2011

Running in the Rain

Last night was the weekly track workout, which has come to be known as the "hard" workout. Sunday long runs seem like a walk in the park in comparison.

Last night we ran 1 km loops at full speed, six times, with a two minute walk break between each loop (2.5 times around the track). Just about killed me. It's not so much the physical effort, actually, as the mental game you have to play with yourself to keep going.

It was raining when I got there. Hard, and sideways. Nothing makes me feel more like a hero than running at night in the driving rain under the spotlights.

We started with a four-lap jog, followed by short sprints and hurdle lifts to warm up. Then the six sets. Holy crap. I had to think of Terry Fox and Steve Prefontaine and Sylvia Ruegger to keep motivated to keep moving forward. At the end I've got enough to speed up, but in the middle, it feels like I'm done. Total mind game.

There's just about six weeks till the half marathon. I'm definitely stronger and faster than I was January 1,  but there's still lots of training time left and I want to make the most of it. Bring on the driving rain! Yar!

No comments: