Saturday, April 23, 2011

No Hair Day

Shampoo. Rinse. Repeat. Condition. Comb. Towel dry. Finger comb in product. Scrunch. Air dry.

Getting my curly hair ready every morning is an ordeal. I get that this is the case for most people, but I've decided I'm going to go for no hair and erase the problem altogether. Two weeks today I'm going to have my head shaved for Balding for Dollars, a fundraiser at B.C. Children's Hospital in Vancouver for kids with cancer.

I've thought long and hard about shaving my head myself, just because, but then I thought there's two reasons to do it for a cause:

1. It's more socially acceptable to say, "I did it for cancer research."
2. Why not help out with cancer research?

My sister-in-law mentioned the May 7 event to me a few weeks ago, and since I was thinking of losing my locks around early May, I thought, hey, there's still time to fundraise, so this is perfect.

So far I've raised $175 from family and friends (people are amazingly generous when it comes to supporting a good cause!) and my goal is $300. I think I can make it happen in the next two weeks. If you want to donate, you can do so even after the event is over and I'm totally bald. Go to https://secure.bcchf.ca/BFD?12575 and use a credit card to donate any amount (anonymously if you'd like). 

I'm both excited and nervous, but mostly I just figure I've already told everyone I'm going to do it, so I can't back out now and change my mind. And hair grows back. It'll take a while, but it will grow back. There's lots more where this mop of hair came from!

No comments: