Tuesday, August 26, 2008

One Week Meat-Free (Almost)

It's been a week since I decided to delete flesh from my diet. I made a massive pot of vegetarian chili (vegan, technically), which has been great for dinners and lunches. Have been eating more fruit too. I suppose being a vegetarian is more healthy by default.

Cooking for myself has made this dietary shift easier - I must admit I have been eating more fish to make up for the ingrained idea that I must get a certain daily intake of protein. I just can't stand the thought of eating nothing but beans and apples. And, of course, I love sushi. If sushi was made from mammals I don't think I would be strong enough to go through with becoming a vegetarian. Salmon sashimi is third on my list of the best things to eat in the world, after chocolate and coffee. If I were on death row my last meal would definitely include raw fish, espresso, and dark chocolate.

Which leads me to a confession - I wasn't strong enough on Saturday night to avoid the temptation of a fast-food (read: made without love) hamburger after drinking a wee bit. I only ate about two thirds of it and immediately (or at least the next day, when I was sober) felt guilty. So I slipped up. Smokers and other addicts do this and don't give up, right? I got right back on the horse. That was my last burger. I can quit anytime I want to. Though I feel like I might need a sponsor once my life becomes hectic again. It's common knowledge that we are most likely to buckle when under stress and give into our baser desires. Are there twelve steps to going veggie? There should be.

1 comment:

Adriana Bucz said...

hey! in addition to nudist beaches (and the weather may have passed, cursed bc), I want to rock-climb. Starting in a gym, getting my belaying ticket and then practicing. You and I are similar sizes so we would be good belaying partners. Yah?