Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Wool

I've decided to learn to knit before the new year arrives. Last month I met a woman who is completely deaf and going blind, who knits for a living, and I was inspired. This woman lives on a small farm about 20 km south-east of Merritt, where she and her husband have about 20 sheep. For each of them, she can get enough wool to knit three sweaters. She also knits toques, scarves, gloves, socks, and a bunch of other things. They have a shearer come in every spring to take the wool off the sheep, and then she takes care of the rest -- carding, spinning and dying the wool herself. Along with her beautiful finished products, she sells batting and spun wool. I bought about three spools of a great melon yellow coloured wool to try my hand at making a scarf. My mom has promised to teach me over the holidays, so here goes!

No comments: