Thursday, February 3, 2011

29 Forever

I feel elated after tonight's workout. We jogged 15 minutes, did six reps of 600 m, and then jogged back 15 minutes. I am sore but seriously happy. And the glass of milk I just drank was the best tasting milk I've ever had, ever.

Running is helping me sleep better, feel more alive and gives my heart a reason to beat other than general anxiety. Also, I recently read a book by David "Patch" Patchell-Evans called Living the Good Life, which is really just a plug for his chain of fitness centres, but does offer some inspirational reasons to get off the couch. In fact, there's a list of 125 specific reasons in an appendix at the back.

Anyway, the point is, one of the stats he offers really got me thinking. He says if you exercise just three times a week for about 20 minutes of cardio, you can effectively stop the clock on aging. The average person, he figures, puts on a pound of fat every year after age 30, and resting heart rates go up by one beat per year... UNLESS you exercise. Which means... drumroll please... you can stay at whatever age you are now if you just get off the couch three times a week and move your body around. Actually, you could even reverse it. And he's not just talking crows feet and arthritis. Feeling young and alive is the real reward. Feeling good. So I'm planning to keep up this regimen of running and whatever else sounds like a fun way to get some exercise at least three times a week... and stay 29 forever.

No comments: