Sunday, August 28, 2011

Long Run (27 km)

Ran almost three laps around Burnaby Lake this morning for a total of 27 km. Took almost three hours. That's the farthest I've ever run.

Actually, it was 21 km of running, 7 km of pain. I can only assume I was running by the end because I made it back to my car, but it didn't feel like running should. My left hip flexor hates me today. Long distance hurts. It really does. Every fibre of my body was telling me to stop the madness. Even now, a cold bath, some good stretching and two cups of chocolate milk later, I still hurt. Even wearing compression socks and sitting with my feet up.

[Side note: compression socks aren't actually going to make a difference to your race, but they're a good idea for after the run, to help your circulation and prevent vein problems. Or maybe it's just a fad, but I got a pair for Christmas last year, so I'm trying them out.]

Here's my question: How do people run such distances without their legs falling apart? I wasn't going very fast by the last half lap, but I felt like I was killing my quads. To get in the training to be able to go 42.2 km I HAVE to be able to run at least 35 km within the next month, but the thought of that distance right now makes me want to cry. Besides cross-training to build up leg strength (and hip flexors), I don't really know what else to do besides run. Because unless I missed a memo, that's the only way to train for a marathon.

Even when it hurts.



No comments: