Friday, April 4, 2014

What to eat, if not meat?

I'm on Day 4 of being vegetarian.

So far, this has been ridiculously easy. I haven't felt deprived or hungry without meat, though to be fair, I was never a very serious meat eater to begin with. Having a steak was a rare occurrence. The only things I've even noticed I had to skip were bacon with my eggs and rather than my usual ham and cheese croissant at the local coffee shop, yesterday I ordered a grilled veggie wrap, which was just as satisfying. And when I drive by Wendy's and realize I'm not going to be getting any fast-food anytime soon, I feel this is a good thing for many reasons.

Also, I'm not worried about missing out on essential nutrients. I'm taking a daily multi-vitamin and an extra 1,000 IU of vitamin D, but that was a regular habit even while I was an omnivore. I've never had a problem with low iron despite not eating a lot of red meat, and some research suggests it's a myth we need any animal protein in our diet at all.

I know I should be eating more fresh fruit and veg. That's something I'll aim for as of next week. This first week is simply going to be about observing what I am finding to sustain myself.

So what have I been eating? Well, this, for example, was dinner last night (thanks to my neighbour, Kate, who made it and brought me over a bowl!)

Tomato and barley soup with artisan bread.


Here are some other examples of what I've been consuming in the last four days.

Breakfast/snack:
  • granola with milk
  • eggs (fried or scrambled)
  • toasted molasses raisin bread with butter or margerine
  • coffee with cream
  • fruit juice
Lunch/dinner:
  • veggie wrap (soft flour tortilla with hummus, cucumber, shredded carrot, sprouts, tomato)
  • vegetable soup (ideally homemade)
  • grilled cheese sandwich with ketchup
  • grilled fish with white rice and steamed cauliflower
Snacks/treats:
  • celery and carrots with hummus
  • chocolate
  • cake (homemade)
  • ice cream


No comments: