Monday, May 26, 2014

Potlucks and supplements

Went to a potluck last night and was delighted to find a great variety of non-meat dishes to satisfy any newbie vegetarian. There was pita and humous, spring rolls with dip, Greek salad, some kind of veggie stir-fry, falafel rolls, and other tasty dishes. Of course there were also chicken enchiladas, homemade meatballs, and fish cakes that all looked and smelled delicious, but which I honestly felt no need to force myself to avoid. And, of course, there were all kinds of vegetarian-friendly dessert options: cupcakes, cookies, cake and pie. I was glad I'm not vegan, though, 'cause I'd have to have skipped pretty much all the desserts in that case. 

Despite finding it easy to skip out on meat and fish in the last six weeks, I'm still having a hard time coming up with any inspiration to make meals in general, and I've been feeling generally tired and lethargic lately. I've basically just been subsisting on a lot of fried eggs on toast and Tim's bagels.
Everything bagel with cream cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion and honey mustard sauce. 

I don't know if my feeling down is diet-related or simply psychological (the weather here is still not what any sane person would call spring, plus I'm still dealing with daily back pain), but I've been sleeping about 12 hours a night, can't get to sleep until the wee hours, and generally have a feeling of something missing. Maybe I'm anemic. According to FitDay.com, vegetarians are often deficient in iron, as well as calcium, protein, vitamin B12 and omega-3 fatty acids.

Since I started this no-meat experiment I've been taking supplements to cover my bases, but maybe I'm still not getting enough of or even missing something in my diet. 

Six pills a day. I feel like a geriatric.
Do all vegetarians need to take supplements? And what about the hypocrisy of taking fish oil? I mean, if I've stopped eating fish and seafood as part of a no-harm diet, and my omega-3 supplements are derived from anchovies, sardines and mackerel, am I not still participating in the killing of sentient life, making my no-harm efforts somewhat futile? 

What's a vegetarian to do?

No comments: