Friday, May 14, 2021

West Cost Trail or BUST!

It's been three years since I updated this bucket blog, and I'd say it's time to get back to it! I've just finished Nursing School and in the last three years haven't had a chance to work towards much else in the way of life goals. But now I'm all in again, and the next thing to cross off the list will be the West Coast Trail

By some kind of miracle I managed to reserve a spot for four of us to hit the trail July 2 and I am STOKED.

Last year a friend and I hiked the Juan de Fuca trail, which is similar, only shorter and further south of the WCT on Vancouver Island. 

But that one doesn't require pre-booking, and it's also not considered one of the top 10 hikes in the world. More importantly, it's not on my bucket list. 

It was a great warm-up, though, and gave me a good idea of how to best prepare for a multi-day hike. I think the most important thing is to have good footwear, which last year I did not. In fact, the sole of one of the boots I borrowed fell off on the second day, which left me without any grip whatsoever. Once I'd entirely lost the boot, I was hiking in running shoes. Not ideal, or recommended, on a multi-day hike that includes all kinds of terrain and conditions. So, today I went to MEC and bought a rad new pair of boots:

There is much more to prepare, but the most important steps are done, which is to reserve a spot and get good footwear. I am beyond excited about this adventure!!

No comments: